Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Never Used Super8 I am new.. help me?!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member kchukalas's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello I just had a brainstorm to do a music video to promote my music. I want it on film and I stumbled into Super 8. Now, I have a Camera, (Chinon 313 P XL) And film... both Kodak Plus X Reversal & Kodachrome 40. I'm confused about the filter thing! Will the camera adjust to the film? I don't want to mess this up! Am I able to shoot the Kodachrome 40 with this camera?.. I really need some advice, because I am so poor~ and don't want to mess up this film~ :-)


  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kchukalas:
    Hello I just had a brainstorm to do a music video to promote my music. I want it on film and I stumbled into Super 8. Now, I have a Camera, (Chinon 313 P XL) And film... both Kodak Plus X Reversal & Kodachrome 40. I'm confused about the filter thing! Will the camera adjust to the film? I don't want to mess this up! Am I able to shoot the Kodachrome 40 with this camera?.. I really need some advice, because I am so poor~ and don't want to mess up this film~ :-)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


    There should be a filter switch with a sun emblem and a bulb emblem.

    The switch for the bulb emblem means "indoors", and when the switch is in this position, it means you have "removed" the 85 filter from the path of light that reaches the film plane for exposing the picture.

    In the "sun" position, the filter stays within the path of light that ultimately reaches the film plane for exposing the film.

    Simply leave the emblem position to "bulb" for indoors, and to "sun" emblem when outside.

    To test that your "85 filter" works correctly, put your camera in automatic exposure mode, and assuming you have a readable light meter readout in the viewfinder, switch between the sun emblem and the bulb emblem while looking through the viewfinder, (test best done while camera is on a tripod to keep the camera from moving)

    Your light meter indicator should move as you change emblem positions....of course, you need to have a certain amount of light...and of course, not too much light....

    You'll get the hang of it.

    -Alex

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jocko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2001
    Posts
    90
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't worry..the film cartridge is notched for the correct film speed..like alex said..the filter is to convert the color temperature of the light..when and if you shoot in daylight the filter(85) will warm up the bluish light of the day...if you are shooting inside with lights, you don't need the filter..cause the film is balanced for tungsten light..and as for the plus-x B&W film..right now don't worry about a filter..shoot some film..make that music video..and most of all..enjoy!

    Good luck

    Neil
    JOCKO FILMS

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Rigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    51
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just to make it clearer:

    Filter on (Sun position)
    Filter off (bulb position)

    The filter is a kind of yellow or orange.

    Use it when using natural light.

    Remove it when using artificial light.

    Night exterior/ night interior: remove the filter.

    I would use the filter (Sun position) also in a night scene to give the scene a warmer tone, as to fake a candle light.

    Using a catridge before shooting will save you money. Shoot under the same conditions that you will for the music video and try with and without the filter. You must get creative with it!!

    Best luck

  5. #5
    Inactive Member kchukalas's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks everyone!

    I will give it my best shot!

    Kirk

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    You wouldn't by chance need a Super-8 DP would you?

    -Alex

  7. #7
    Inactive Member kchukalas's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What on earth is a Super8 DP????????

  8. #8
    Inactive Member dogstarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2000
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    so long

    [This message has been edited by dogstarman (edited August 10, 2001).]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •